Welcome to Ardeley Parish, Hertfordshire

About Ardeley

Ardeley is a small village and civil parish in East Hertfordshire, England. The parish includes the hamlet of Cromer, as well as Wood End and Moor Green. Ardeley is located about one and a half miles from Walkern.

It has a primary school, a pub (The Jolly Waggoner), a grade one listed church, which dates from around the 13th century, a vicarage built in the 1700s and a CSA farm (Church Farm). The farm allows visitors to buy produce and feed the animals.

The Church of Saint Lawrence is a Church of England church and the primary school, Ardeley St. Lawrence JMI, founded in 1835, is also a Church of England state funded school. Ardeley has an annual fete in which all profits go to the parish - at the moment shared equally between the Village Hall, the Ardeley School Governors Fund for building and repair work, and the upkeep of the Church,

Cromer is a village within the parish of Ardeley and is noteworthy for possessing Hertfordshire's sole surviving post mill.  The current mill dates from 1681 on a site where a windmill has stood for over 600 years. The mill has been damaged serveral times, but was brought back into full working order in 1998 after receiving grants of over £50,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund and English Heritage.  The mill first opened to the public in 1991 and has continued to do so ever since.